Friday, June 1, 2007

Ouch!

Trivia was not kind to us this week. The Beards finished at an all-time low of 10 points behind the leaders. We added 4 people to our usual team and for the first few rounds, this seemed to help us, but then we fell apart and argued too many questions thereby causing us to erase many “gut reaction” answers, which often turned out to be right, and go with the loudest voice.
Not a great strategy.
I can’t say that I took any questions myself, except for one:
*Which movie had a husband, a perfect wife and a psychotic mistress?

Questions we should/could have gotten but either by erasure or erroneous consensus, we didn’t:
*What is the longest running comedy show on American television?
*What company invented paper towels?
*What is the most popular drink in Greece?
*What is the name of Susan Lucci’s character on whichever soap she’s on?
*What is the most popular board game in the world?
AND, though this is a tough question, I felt with my extensive knowledge of 80s music, I should have gotten it:
*In the 80s, Chubby Checker remixed “The Twist” with what other artist/group?


I’m gonna tell you the answer to this last question right here: The Fat Boys. I had a forehead-smacking moment when I heard this answer while everyone else at the table, all born circa 1980, looked puzzled and said, “Who?”
The Fat Boys, aka Buffy the Human Beat Box, Kool Rock-Ski, and Prince Markie Dee, were 3 large men who became famous in the mid-80s for hip-hop that relied on beatboxing. Basically, anytime you see a white guy trying to imitate scratching a record with his hand over his mouth, thank The Fat Boys (along with Doug E. Fresh). They also did a very nice SWATCH commercial and starred in the smash hit Disorderlies, which I watched over and over on channel 56 (WLVI). Should've gotten that.


------------------------------------------------------------------
I joined the Maine Kickball League board this week. I get to help plan the end-of-the-season party for 200+ beer-drinking, fun-loving kickers. Woo-hoo.

Our game last night brought a big W for “Rick is 21”. We beat our opponent 9-7 in a twilight game filled with some great fielding, excellent base running and a cooler of beer. I ♥ kickball. I ♥ winning. I ♥ beer.

I ♥ drinking beer while winning a kickball game.

The down side of last night’s game? The “Tall Guy” slid into home and hit the back of his head on the ground. He was dizzy and a little disoriented afterwards. Today, the disorientation continued so he had to go for a head x-ray. A head injury from kickball. Only my husband…
----------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend brings us to Worcester for my 10-year college reunion. I can’t believe it’s been 10 damn years! It will be good to go and see how many babies I don’t have yet, and how many law degrees and medical practices I haven’t got. And, how few houses on the Cape or Long Island I've bought.
Seriously, the 5-year was fun and it really was good to catch up with some people; it will be good to catch up again five years later. And there will be a free-beer truck. See above to know how I feel about that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Answers:
“Fatal Attraction”
“The Simpsons” (we decided that Sat Night Live has been on longer, but it’s considered an “entertainment program” and not a “sitcom”)
Scott
Ouzo (we went with Coca-Cola ‘cause how many 6-year-olds are drinking Ouzo – apparently a lot)
Erica Kane (came up with this 2 minutes after we turned in our answer sheet)
Monopoly

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jill - I do heart trivia as well. In fact, I read your blog on Fridays to see what the week's questions are...Did you know that I once defeated an entire Accenture project team (granted, I was pretending to drink for the extra edge...) Anyway, I've gotten dumber over the years, but when I make it up to Portland (and I WILL), trivia must be on the to-do list...

Chris said...

If it makes you feel any less old, this year marks the 25 year anniversary of my graduating high school.

I would never have remembered the Fat Boys...too much Pot erosion from those days.

While those trivia q's are gettable, they can be tough under pressure.