Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Things I like about Maine

And when I say Maine, I guess I mean Portland, where I live. I haven’t actually been north of Freeport yet and I understand that there is quite of bit of state north of Freeport. So, for now, I will report on what I know.

Beer. All of it. Microbreweries abound here and almost all of the beer that I have sampled has been tasty. I have always liked Shipyard, which I could find in the Boston area, but I like Geary’s and Gritty’s and Casco Bay and Sebago and Allagash. And those are just the ones I’ve tried. Again, I’ve heard that the central & northern parts of the state have more brewpubs. Wow.

Niceness. Yup, just niceness. Never knew I was missing it until I moved to a land where people are considerate and friendly. Granted, there are cranky people here (after all, there are lots of former Massachusettsians here), but even I find myself a little less crusty and suspicious in my adopted state. This newly acquired niceness of mine does get suspended when I get in my car, but that’s a post for another day.

And I’ll leave you with one more:
Moose. A large and fabled creature. I’ve heard tell that these animals are magnificent. I haven’t actually seen one, but I know they live here and that I might and that ain’t half bad.

No comments: