Thursday, July 5, 2007

What I haven't mentioned

Despite feeling disillusioned by the current administration, I have managed to have some fun times with new & old friends in the past week. A sample:

Last Thursday, "Rick is 21" lost the last regular-season kickball game. However, we drowned our sorrows with pitchers of beer and had a grand time at $3 Deweys. Despite the loss, we clinched fourth thereby securing a "bye" in this week's playoffs. So, tonight we go to scout the competition, cheer on the underdogs and minister cold ones to the losers.

Last weekend, after watching the Babe Ruth championship game on Friday night (our boss's son plays and we really like watching baseball), Tall Guy and I went to CT for a bbq with some of my old friends (not that we're old, I've just known them a long time). The bbq was at the Dancing Queen's house and her bro, Dreds, was there. He brought with him Guitar Hero 2. Tall Guy and I quickly fell in love with this game. By the end of the weekend we were able to strum our way through "Free Bird," hitting over 80% of the notes. If only you didn't need a Playstation or XBox to play - I would've owned this game by Monday.

Tall Guy's sister, Legs, moved into town on Saturday to enjoy the gorgeous Maine summer. She's lived here before so we didn't have to introduce her to delicious Maine beer, but we can show her our favorite Happy Hour spots (okay, I really only have one, but I've heard there are some great ones :)

We attended a very fun 3rd of July party at a friend's that I wish I knew better. Just as I moved in to Portland last fall, she moved to Atlanta. Luckily, her parents have a house in Falmouth so we got to eat grilled meat (a requisite for parties occurring near Independence Day, see last post), play with sparklers and dance in her mom's living room to some classic songs from the 70s. One of the highlights of the night: one of her mom's friends, a fit man in his 50s (60s even) went up on their second floor landing and put on a show, spanking his own ass with two hands. Fabulous.

And, of course, the 4th of July. Hung with some kickball peeps and had one of the most enjoyable holidays ever. There was beer, lawn games, Italian sandwiches and strawberries soaked in Grand Marnier. Then, despite the rain, there were fireworks. Portland put on a pretty good show and Tall Guy and I watched them under a large tree overlooking the ocean as the rain fell around us. I say again, fabulous.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Legs? That's her nick name- oh, too funny!

Jill O. said...

They go on forever (course, this is coming from a 5 ft 2 inch pipsqueak :) Her brother's nickname for her is Squirt, but since that doesn't do justice to her enviable height and grace, I had to come up my own for the blog.

Noelle said...

Team Underpants lost in the first round of kickball playoffs while I was on vacation. I was kind of hoping I'd get one last chance to play before the fall season, but now I've got nothing but the end of season party to look forward to.