Thursday, September 6, 2007

OverwHelmed

First by the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, and then by the First Day of School (remember that?).

Our trip west was wonderful. Way too brief, but great, nonetheless. I was able to take a drive through a small section of the mountains outside of Boulder (in a HUMMER...oh, the shame). We stopped at Boulder Falls, which was a beautiful sight with some cold water, and in the town of Nederland, which probably has a population of 73 but which has a library in the town "center". The wedding was flawless complete with touching vows, excellent food and plenty of dancing (mostly by me as Tall Guy never got quite drunk enough to stay on the dance floor for more than 3 minutes).

The first day of school was hectic and this first week has been packed with new faces and lots of questions. I have 6 advisees, all freshmen, so we are new together, which is kind of nice. I am slowing starting to learn the collection and the flow of the day. I hate telling people to be quiet, but I like helping them find a book. And, still not loving the whole "last-name" thing. I actually had a student walk up the desk and introduce herself. She said, "Hi, I'm Bryn," to which I replied, "Nice to meet you, I'm Jill. I mean, Mrs. O'Connor. Damn."

A new kickball season starts tonight. Tall Guy and I are on a new team, Look Ma No Hands, and we're looking forward to a winning season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the team name, I may just have to add it to my list. So far, Team Underpants is having a rather disastrous fall season. I hope you fare better!